Quick Start Guide
AvPlan allows you to perform pre-flight planning activities such as
- Download and save copies of all aviation maps, ERSA, DAP and AIP. These are then available to use when there is intermittent/no network access
- Prepare a flight plan, download and incorporate winds and then submit the plan via NAIPS to Airservices Australia.
- Download and save weather briefings, PRD status and other NAIPS related information
- Prepare a loading plan and view the weight and balance envelope
- Add, delete custom aircraft profiles
- Determine the optimal altitudes for your flight
- Inbuilt help function
In flight AvPlan can be used as an electronic flight plan;
- Calculates departure, arrival times for all waypoints based on actual arrival times plus forecast winds.
- Displays aircraft routing and current location on all maps
- Logs and displays aircraft track
- Easy access to ERSA and DAP information
- Rapid access to emergency ERSA pages
Quick Start Guide
- Install the application via the Apple App Store. The app will spend some time downloading and installing a database of aviation data.
- Familiarise yourself with the various settings in the app. Go to the settings page inside the app;
- Data Downloads page allows you to save charts for offline use
- Database Update page allows you to download a new database and ERSA/DAP pages, plus see this message.
- In the flight plan window, press ‘+’ to start building a plan. All fields which accept input throughout the application have a green highlighted background.
- Select an aircraft type with the aeroplane button. A sample aircraft under TB-10 is available as an example.
- Select VFR or IFR as the plan type. IFR plans will automatically add intermediate waypoints if the points added are on the same designated route. Departure and destination navaids are also automatically added as required to IFR plans.
- Press ‘+’ to start adding waypoints to your plan. In addition, waypoints can be added or inserted by tapping on the map at the approximate location of that waypoint. NOTE: AvPlan automatically downloads weather information via NAIPS as points are added to the plan.
- Add a departure time in HHMM UTC format
- Select the loading button to add fuel to the aircraft and POB information
- Select the Planning tab and the ‘Submit flight plan’ button to open the submit page.
- Enter your name, phone number and NAIPS login details. These are all saved for future use.
- Press the submit button to send your plan to Airservices Australia. Turn on ‘NOSEND’ if you are sending a test plan.
- Your plan plus applicable ERSA/DAP pages can be printed. See www.avsoft.com.au for instructions on how to enable printing.
- To use in flight, switch the mode button from ‘Plan’ to ‘Fly’. The ‘Fly’ mode performs the following actions
- Turns the GPS on (if available) and starts logging your location
- Places an aircraft symbol on the map at your location. The aircraft is colour coded to display the current state of the GPS signal.
- Black is poor reception and accuracy is >100m
- Red is OK reception (<100m) but no heading information available.
- Blue is OK reception (<100m) and valid heading information
- When updating altitudes, they are only changed on the actual leg and not propagated down the plan
- As you fly past a waypoint in your plan, press ‘Next Leg’ to sequence to the next leg in the plan.
- Some settings in the app are changed in the iPad ‘Settings’ Application. These are
- Pilot name
- Pilot phone number
- NAIPS login details
- Whether to automatically download weather as the plan is created
If you have any questions about the use of the application please feel free to contact us at support at avsoft.com.au